I'll send you the bill
I now know how much my time is worth - particularly an hour of my time on a Wednesday evening [travel included].
Exactly $41.73
That's how much it's costing me to send a snazzy little vase of flowers [classy ones! no baby's breath or similar filler] over to an acquaintance's law firm opening.
I have the standard issue list of reasons for not attending the after-work celebrations:
Exactly $41.73
That's how much it's costing me to send a snazzy little vase of flowers [classy ones! no baby's breath or similar filler] over to an acquaintance's law firm opening.
I have the standard issue list of reasons for not attending the after-work celebrations:
- I have a previous commitment, closer to home and, therefore, far away from the firm's new office space. [actually, I really do - for the local writers' group]
- I'd have to dress up! [okay, that's not really an excuse, just a realization]
- I know only one of the partners - by virtue of sitting on a board with her.
- The firm, as a whole, has probably invited half the city and would be unlikely to notice my presence or absence from the event.
- My ability to make legalese small talk is slim to none. More like none.
- I couldn't even turn it into a networking thing [okay, if I really, really felt the need to, I could BS my way through a brief visit, but to what end??] as I'm not a potential client for their set of services, nor do I have any valuable, or even relevant, connections that I could play up.
It's all a cop-out. I may yet be guilted into a brief appearance by my nagging little brain. It'd be the nice thing to do. I know that. [hey - so are the cop-out flowers!] Realistically, I could, with some effort, attend for a very brief time immediately after work. A quick "hi, wow, cool place. well, best of luck, gotta run!" never really killed anyone. It might make one look like a flake, but it never killed them.
It never made them $41.73, either.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home