what? trouble in paradise?
Pshaw. You can't possibly be serious! Why would I contemplate a marriage advice service when Mr.Q & I have been married over 10 years with no loss of life or limb and no suitcases on the curb?But, hey, maybe there's stuff I don't know. I mean, there's always stuff I don't know. So, after I got over the initial snort of as-if, I started thinking that perhaps the Parent Bloggers weren't so far out there to suggest eHarmony's new marriage counselling alternative.
It was a good start: I answered a tonne of questions - many of which inspired a lot of thought in and of themselves, some of which seemed repetitive - and had Mr.Q answer his own set of them too. This exercise alone was rather enlightening, but I was interested in seeing what eHarmony made of it. And that didn't take long. I began receiving emails right away and, to be honest, that kind of put me off. On the one hand, I do need the reminders. I just don't appreciate them.
The initial results that I found waiting for me at eHarmony seemed a little skimpy and with lots of desperate-looking links provided to find out more by continuing onto the full program. And, now having been there, I would encourage anyone to take advantage of the free trial period for all their answers, if not paying for the program. Once I got passed the sign up, there was a clear, in depth and well organised review of both my and Mr.Q's answers waiting for me [I can't see Mr.Q's answers, but I see his results].
And, you ask, what were the results? Why yes, we have our areas that need work - who knew? We're both pretty wishy-washy people, not fond of absolutes and strayed little from the pre-assigned centre when adjusting the slider to answer how well or poor we felt about something. Sadly, Mr.Q's slider was a little more conservative than mine and he came out as less content than I in most categories. But, I'm just such a damn happy-go-lucky person, after all... [uh, yeah...that's it...] However, I think the interpretation of the results were quite accurate: once I got through the overviews and into some of the details, those areas that we were told we could improve on made sense. And those areas where Mr.Q and I are strongest also fit.
So, that prodded me rather to look at more. And there was a lot more to look at: feedback for both myself and Mr.Q, where we differ and suggestions for improvement for numerous specific areas, written clearly - perhaps coming off a bit canned - and all informative. Then there are exercises: there are videos which are surprisingly well done [only a teeny bit cheesy] and do provide even more food for thought and engage throughout. Once completing, exercises arrive by email for further opportunities to grow individually or as a couple.
I like:
- that this doesn't feel condescending. It's all very real and comfortable. I was waiting, at every turn, for this to become trite or cheesy and, while some of the statements seemed a little prefabricated [as, duh, they are] it's not annoying.
- this was much more information than I was expecting to get back out of answering this one questionnaire and I was very pleasantly surprised by how much feedback was available and how many resources were offered.
- the video component was a good way to go about offering the information and the over all marriage profile is a great overview of where we're at [though the potential for improvement seems a little exaggerated]
- the check marks to remind me what I've gone through. There is a lot of information to cover and I would definitely lose track.
- all the emails! While I do need a kick in the ass sometimes, this almost got to the point of turning me off. And some of them did get a little trite and prone to over-generalizing.
- I did have problems running one of the videos - incessant buffering and unsynched [you know what I mean] audio and video. Not sure if that was my bandwidth issues or theirs, but I didn't make it through to the end of that video.
- while I love the fact that there is so much information, there is a lot of information. I'm not through everything yet and it will take a while to get there properly.
- even though neither Mr.Q nor I would have categorised our marriage as one that needs work, this gave us lots to consider - and that's never a bad thing. It does require a level of commitment and the mind set to do this work on your own [hence all the emails, I suppose] but it is well worth the effort. And it's an effort I'll be making.
Labels: Parent Bloggers Network
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home