February 10, 2006

girding of loins

I've been trying to psyche myself up for a weekend of the in-laws. Better yet, my own parents are coming to town in another two weeks. I getting there, with plans to clean tonight and plotting things to do over the weekends.

Regardless, I'm not ready for this.

I know my mother has already begun making purchases for babyQ [a box has been started] and is intent on making many more once we have chosen colours and furniture. I'm sure it's bothering her no end that 1. this is not all done and taken care of already and 2. I don't plan to stress about it for another month or two. Fold in sisterQ's laissez faire upcoming wedding plans, and I'm sure that, if I listen closely enough, I can hear her temple throbbing from 1400 kilometers away.

I'm not so sure about Mr.Q's mother...she may or may not bring stuff with her, may or may not wish to try and buy babyQ stuff while they're here and may or may not be willing to discuss plans for visits once babyQ is actually born [needless to say, my parents have already called dibs on the week after - I want a few days to regroup before playing host. and, regardless of who it is, even my own parents, there is still a sense of playing host].

I do grasp the excitement and sentiment behind the birth of their first [and, they're all thinking, potentially only] grandchild. I know everyone will arrive, bearing gifts that I may not fully asthetically appreciate [and, per Mr.Q: who are these gifts for, again??] but I reserve the right to go momzilla should I deem it necessary. Or should I just plain ol' feel like it.

**********


Oh, how plans change. Mr.Q just phoned his parents to see what time they were heading out tomorrow. This was met with a confused silence: the in-laws planned their trip for next weekend. This, despite the fact that Mr.Q [and I actually heard him!] told them that the weekend of the 11th was the better one, I could [and did] cancel my plans and, he said, "great, we'll see you this weekend".

Or not. Not only do I now have to deal with the in-laws as impending grandparents, they're even flakier than I ever realised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home