January 08, 2007

gene pool

Now that the holidays are over, and we are between waves of relatives [the next one to hit within a week or so], I am struck by the fact that my favourite in-laws are the crazy ones.

To clarify: the self-proclaimed and medically diagnosed ones.

Seriously, the one family who has actually acknowledged their conditions and, god forbid, deals with them, are the most awesome, bull shit free bunch of the lot. It's great. Two are lawyers, so they know how to argue without taking offense. All are willing to discuss and, here's the clincher, listen. Their minds are open and they're willing to take chances. And they often do.

So, what happened to the rest of them - the religious rights? the in-denials? the co-dependants? the happy-in-ruts?

Yeah, and then there's my family...

I shouldn't condemn the whole lot. My sisters-in-law are both pretty damn awesome too. More because of their "faults" than despite them. And maybe that's it. These are the people who know who they are, or are willing to put the effort in to find out.

Not a bad way to live.

**********

What a segue way into a new little segment I'm going to try out. In the spirit of my sanity and the need for my husband to have me vent somewhere else on occasion, I bring you:

little gems

Things that have been said or emailed to me that just seem a little...wrong.

upon seeing my new hair cut: "I love your new cut! Because you were starting to look frumpy, you know."

upon hearing that were looking for a larger bed: "Oh, you'll have to buy all new sheets! But that's okay, I guess, since you really do need some new ones."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh - a swap could be entertaining! though we should set up a rotation of some sort (everyone's got crazies to sign up!) so that no one crazy gets too irritating... :P

oh, and thx. I'll now have to edit myself in the future so that I don't accidentally utter 'fuck you, what?'. I have seriously considered 'oh. anything else?' but haven't gone there quite yet!

Jan 9, 2007, 12:41:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home