I'm at a loss
I was debating the merits of posting this, when I read The New Girl's post on posting and I realised that I need to write about it here in some form. That's what this thing is for. I just need to get the form right.
My parents are getting older.
Okay, technically, that's hardly a revelation of epic proportions, but there it is. But, they just spent a week here and it's slightly more obvious in person than on the phone. I can deal with the physical aging and even a certain amount of settling of ways that my sister and I oftenmock comment on. What has me freaked out at the moment is the extent of the settling of ways and how it's affecting, not only the rest of us, but the two of them as well.
They're getting on each others' nerves a little. And my mom only just retired last month.
It's strange - not to mention a little scary - to see two people who have spent [so far as I know] well over 30 years happily together, now having tiffs over some fairly ground-rules kind of stuff. Part of me knows that they are adults and can deal with things appropriately, as they need to, and quite well, thank you very much. But part of me also knows the some of the challenges of getting older that they have already faced and, based on their parents, what may be in lurking around the corner. And that, at some point, they may very well not be able to deal with it accordingly.
Then, at that some point, my sister and I will no longer be on the phonerolling our eyes commenting; we will be the ones dealing. And that freaks the hell out of me.
My parents are getting older.
Okay, technically, that's hardly a revelation of epic proportions, but there it is. But, they just spent a week here and it's slightly more obvious in person than on the phone. I can deal with the physical aging and even a certain amount of settling of ways that my sister and I often
They're getting on each others' nerves a little. And my mom only just retired last month.
It's strange - not to mention a little scary - to see two people who have spent [so far as I know] well over 30 years happily together, now having tiffs over some fairly ground-rules kind of stuff. Part of me knows that they are adults and can deal with things appropriately, as they need to, and quite well, thank you very much. But part of me also knows the some of the challenges of getting older that they have already faced and, based on their parents, what may be in lurking around the corner. And that, at some point, they may very well not be able to deal with it accordingly.
Then, at that some point, my sister and I will no longer be on the phone
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home