because they asked, I can't complain
My parents are coming next week - and staying for a week.
Technically, we have the room. Well, we have a room with a fold-out couch in it and a second bathroom. However, we are up a good hour and a half before they usually are and the Magpie and I are out for a walk before I suspect either one of them is even dressed. I'm used to breastfeeding her when and where ever - something that, should I continue with that trend, would freak my dad out - and I'm showered and in my pjs by the time she goes to bed at 7:30pm.
My mom told me the other day that if we would like them to stay at a hotel, after dad comes back from his weekend meetings, they will. We just have to say so.
As if.
How well would that go over: yes, mom and dad, get the hell out of my house.
Even phrased politely, that still sucks.
I have the feeling that they may hit a hotel anyway. Between the getting up early, the two hour afternoon nap [during which I nap, too, and need to continue doing so] and the early evenings, and the lack of tv in the guest bedroom, I'm not really sure what they think they'll be doing while they're here. My mom is already flustered that I suggested we could meet her cousin before 11 or after 2. Apparently, she suspects that is the only time frame her cousin can manage on her day off...
It will be a good visit. They are going to love seeing the Magpie and getting out and about with her. It will be great to see them with her and interacting with her much more than their last visit. But, for the first time [ever], I'm actually thinking about not playing host and just letting my parents be here - while the Magpie and I do what we do. They can figure it out.
Yeah. I'll let you know how that works out for me...
Technically, we have the room. Well, we have a room with a fold-out couch in it and a second bathroom. However, we are up a good hour and a half before they usually are and the Magpie and I are out for a walk before I suspect either one of them is even dressed. I'm used to breastfeeding her when and where ever - something that, should I continue with that trend, would freak my dad out - and I'm showered and in my pjs by the time she goes to bed at 7:30pm.
My mom told me the other day that if we would like them to stay at a hotel, after dad comes back from his weekend meetings, they will. We just have to say so.
As if.
How well would that go over: yes, mom and dad, get the hell out of my house.
Even phrased politely, that still sucks.
I have the feeling that they may hit a hotel anyway. Between the getting up early, the two hour afternoon nap [during which I nap, too, and need to continue doing so] and the early evenings, and the lack of tv in the guest bedroom, I'm not really sure what they think they'll be doing while they're here. My mom is already flustered that I suggested we could meet her cousin before 11 or after 2. Apparently, she suspects that is the only time frame her cousin can manage on her day off...
It will be a good visit. They are going to love seeing the Magpie and getting out and about with her. It will be great to see them with her and interacting with her much more than their last visit. But, for the first time [ever], I'm actually thinking about not playing host and just letting my parents be here - while the Magpie and I do what we do. They can figure it out.
Yeah. I'll let you know how that works out for me...
3 Comments:
I feel ya. I love having my family here but I need a vacation when it's all over. Sometimes you just need to be able to sit around in your p.j.'s and just not have to smile and make conversation, you know?
I'm lucky in that my parents live 5 minutes from me, so I don't need to entertain them. But, my in-laws visit once a month and want constant entertainment and plans. And napping and bed time is always an issue with them. Oh ,and they just announced they were coming for my b-day, which is also mother's day, and are staying with us. Nice!
(Sorry to vent on your blog just trying to say I understand. And I don't blog about the in-laws).
1. I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who still naps when the kid is napping.
2. I feel you and think you definitely should just do your thing. Put the baby first and yourself second; I believe this is the one time in our lives we can honestly get away with that without being selfish. Your parents can figure out how to entertain themselves. If they don't, they need to think a bit about what it's like to have 10 month old.
Yeah, that's my two cents.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home